Report Fraud or A Loss
State agencies and local governments should use this form to report known or suspected losses of public funds or other illegal activity to the State Auditor's Office.  Exceptions from reporting are listed here.  Citizens who wish to report concerns should use our Citizen Hotline.  State employees who wish to report possible improper governmental activity should use our Whistleblower program.

State law (RCW 43.09.185) requires all state agencies and local governments to immediately notify the State Auditor's Office in the event of a known or suspected loss of public resources or other illegal activity.   This includes situations in which disciplinary action against an employee is being considered due to known or suspected losses of public funds, fraud, illegal acts, or noncompliance with policies or procedures related to preventing losses of public funds, misappropriation or other illegal acts.

Our Office will consult with you about when and if it is appropriate to file a police report with local or state law enforcement. However, governments should immediately notify the appropriate local or state law enforcement agency in the following circumstances:

  • Suspected losses involving the health or safety of employees or property.
  • Losses resulting from breaking and entering or other vandalism of property.
Please do not include information in your fraud submission that is specifically protected from release or disclosure by law. An auditor will contact you for this information as needed.
What government is this report for?

Contact Information

Please give your contact information so we can follow up with you:

Report Information

What type of issue are you reporting? Enter time period of suspected loss or illegal activity.
Is an investigation in progress?
Yes   No
Has a police report been filed?
Yes   No
Have any restitution agreements been signed?
Yes   No
If you have put together a timeline of events, please attach it below, along with any other information or documentation regarding the loss.


Click the "Browse" button below to attach files to this report. Only the following file types are allowed: xls, xlsx, csv, doc, docx, pdf, ppt, pptx, txt, rpt, zip, gif, tif, jpg, jpeg, png, bmp.  Files greater than 10 MB in size will not be accepted.

You will be able to print a copy of your report after you submit the information.